These Delicious Red Velvet Beetroot Buckwheat Pancakes get their fabulous crimson hue naturally… from Beets! Gluten-free too, and just perfect for Valentine’s Day!
Gosh, I’ve lost track of when I saw the Sun last! It has been grey here, not 50 shades, just one! A dull, depressing grey, with loads of fog thrown in for an extra gloomy winter.
As you may have read in my last post, our house is on sale and our realtor has been holding open house each weekend. It’s a bit tiring to keep the house looking perfect at all times, but all that cleaning and stress also means I get little time to photograph and blog.
To cheer myself, I’ve been doing things that make me happy: binge-watching Seinfeld on Prime Video, indulging in retail therapy during the winter sales… and cooking some colorful food.
With Valentine’s Day coming up, Red Velvet has been on my mind lately. But I hate the amount of food color it takes to get that bright scarlet and I simply couldn’t bring myself to do it.
Then I came across organic beets in the supermarket about the same time I saw Beth Kirby’s gorgeous Red Velvet Cake using beetroot on Pinterest. I did not want to make an elaborate cake, so I went with pancakes instead. They take a bit of prep in roasting and pureeing the beetroot, but it is so worth it! Look at that color!!
These Red Velvet Beetroot Buckwheat Pancakes have a hint of cardamom in them. They are soft, beautifully fragrant and absolutely delicious! They are gluten-free too and believe me, Buckwheat, Beetroot and Cardamom are a match made in heaven.
We enjoyed them topped with honey-sweetened yogurt and pistachios! The munchkin was deliriously happy with the dark red color and I love the fact that they are so healthy. The perfect wholesome, yet exotic breakfast!
If you liked this post, please share with your family and friends using the Social Share buttons underneath this post or down the side of the page! And sign up to receive posts right into your Inbox (there’s a box on the right)! For free!
You can also follow me on:
- 1 Beetroot
- 100 ml Milk
- 100 grams Buckwheat Flour (you can also use regular flour)
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 Cardamom Pods, seeds powdered
- 2 tablespoons Honey
- 1 Egg
- 2 teaspoons Butter or Cooking Oil
- ½ cup plain Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Honey (or more as per taste)
- 5 Pistachios, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200 C. Place the beet in a baking tray along with 1/ 4 cup water. Cover the dish with foil and bake in the oven for about 30 minutes.
- Cool the beetroot. The skin should peel right off when you rub it. Cut the beet into pieces. Transfer to a blender along with the milk, to form a puree.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl mix together the egg, honey and cardamom powder.
- Add the beet and milk puree to the egg mixture and whisk until combined.
- Finally, add this mixture to the flour and baking powder.
- Mix with a hand whisk until you have a classic pancake batter consistency.
- Melt some butter or oil in a frying pan over a low heat.
- Add some of the batter (the amount will depend on how thick or thin you want your pancakes to be) and cook for 2-3 minutes on either side for thick pancakes or 1-2 minutes either side for thin ones.
- To serve, mix the yogurt and honey together in a small bowl. Drizzle over the pancakes and top with chopped pistachios.
Pin this Recipe: