I think we are gearing up for a white Easter this year, like the one we had in 2013! No snow for Christmas when we want it, hope for it, oh no… but when it is March and we expect just a bit of warmth, that’s when we have snow, nay slush!
I made this wonderful dish of Five Spice Roast Chicken Thighs when it was literally looking like a well-shaken snow globe outside… interspersed with heavy rain and wind, of course!
When the weather is that crazy outside, the only way I can cheer myself up is with some flavor-packed uplifting food and this dish sure fits the bill
And it is seriously simple to put together, an easy marinade where the star is the sublime Chinese Five Spice powder. It can be easily found in grocery stores, but is equally easy to make your own. Just mix together equal quantities of roasted and ground fennel, ground peppercorns, ground star anise, ground cinnamon and ground cloves. Easy, right?
This simple marinade packs the chicken with flavor and gives it a brilliant color, reminiscent of sticky barbecued chicken. Yum!
You could grill this chicken over a barbecue in the summer and in winter, just use your oven! Either way, it is delicious!!
The chicken is also sort of self-saucing. The cooked marinade left over in the roasting pan tastes fantastic over some plain steamed rice. An easy but stunning meal!
If you liked this post, please do share with your family and friends using the Social Share buttons underneath this post or down the side of the page! And sign up to receive posts right into your Inbox (there’s a box on the right)! For free!
You can also follow me on:
Sharing this deliciousness at Angie’s Fiesta Friday with this week’s co-hosts, Josette@thebrookcook and Lily@little sweet baker and at Saucy Saturdays with The Flavour Bender, Take Two Tapas, La Petit Chef and Mid-Life Croissant.
- 4 Chicken Thighs (bone-in and skin on)
- 4 tablespoons Dark Sweet Soya Sauce (If using regular Soya Sauce, add 2 tablespoons Honey)
- 1 tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Chinese Five Spice powder
- 1 Green Chilli, finely chopped
- 1 & ½ teaspoons fresh, finely grated Ginger
- 4 cloves Garlic, very finely minced
- ½ teaspoon Red Chilli powder or Cayenne Pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 Spring Onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon Sesame Seeds
- In a large bowl, mix together the soya sauce, vinegar, five spice powder, green chilli, ginger, garlic, red chilli powder and salt. Set aside.
- Add the cleaned chicken thighs to the marinade and coat well. Marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Remove chicken from marinade and place in a lightly oiled baking dish.
- Pour the remaining marinade over the chicken.
- Sprinkle half a teaspoon of sesame seeds over the chicken.
- Preheat oven to 190 C.
- Bake chicken for 30-40 minutes.
- Take out of the oven and top with the rest of the sesame seeds and chopped spring onions.
- Serve with steamed rice and the drippings from the baking tray.
Pin this Recipe: