So this morning I woke up at what I thought was close to 7 a.m. The husband promptly and gleefully (!) reminded me that daylight saving had started and it was actually 8 a.m. Grr…
I am really looking forward to the Easter break, though I have so much to do at work in the next 3 days, it does not bear thinking about. And I need to start waking up 1 hour early each morning, hmmm…
If daylight saving has begun, spring is here, damn it, even if it is grey and rainy outside!! A quick rant on Facebook and breakfast later, I wanted to make something to cheer me up.
The husband had just made freshly squeezed orange juice for us from these sweet organic oranges he had bought last night and a little was left over.
The orange rind was also all collected on a plate to go into the compost bin and I remembered I had ricotta in the refrigerator. Sounded like the perfect ingredients for some fresh, sunny muffins 😀
These are super moist because of the ricotta and full of lovely citrus notes from the orange juice and zest. Also, there is no butter in them. I used olive oil instead.
And on the munchkins orders, added blueberries…Super delicious, super moist and a perfect welcome to spring.
When I was getting ready to photograph these, I realised my backyard was also slowly waking up. I collected a few of these little wild flowers to pretty up the presentation.
What is happening in your part of the world? Can you feel that it is spring yet? And how are you celebrating its arrival? I would love to know
If you liked this post, please share with your family and friends using the Social Share buttons underneath this post or down the side of the page! And sign up to receive posts right into your Inbox (there’s a box on the right)! For free!
You can also follow me on:
- 1 & ¾ cups All-purpose Flour
- ¾ cup Granulated Sugar
- 2 & ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- 250 grams Ricotta Cheese
- 1 tablespoon Orange Zest
- ½ cup freshly squeezed Orange Juice
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 large Egg
- ½ cup Blueberries (optional)
- ½ cup Icing Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the ricotta cheese, orange zest, orange juice, olive oil, and egg until well-blended.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients, and pour in the wet.
- Stir with a wooden spoon until just incorporated.
- The batter will be thick. Divide batter evenly between 9 to 12 paper muffin cups.
- Stick in a few blueberries in each muffin, if using.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean (not wet).
- Remove from oven and set the muffins on a wire rack. Let them cool.
- In a small bowl, mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice till well blended.
- Drizzle a teaspoon of the glaze over each muffin.
- Top with more orange or lemon zest, if desired.
Pin this Recipe: