Enjoy the wonders of Summer with this gorgeous, fragrant, moist Lavender Lemon Loaf Cake that smells like an English garden!
When we first moved into a house with a garden, I promised myself I would plant lavender. It is one of the scents I have absolutely adored since I was a kid.
Well, it took almost five years, but this spring, we finally planted two varieties of lavender around a little sunken bird-bath in our garden and I have been waiting for the plants to flower ever since.
The buds began to appear some time in June I think and gave out the most alluring fragrance every time the breeze blew through them.
They have also been attracting a lot of honeybees and butterflies
Last weekend, I decided it was about time I started cooking with the lavender, as it looked dry enough. So the munchkin and I went and snipped a few stalks, the munchkin happily smelling them and saying ‘Wow! We are making lavender cake!’We made this incredible, beautifully fragrant and moist Lavender and Lemon Loaf cake. It’s like summer in your mouth 😀
The yogurt in the cake makes it really moist and the combination of the tart lemon and sweet-smelling lavender is just wonderful.
I topped it with a simple lemon drizzle and dusted it with icing sugar. Simple, yet beautiful.
A slice of this loaf with a cup of tea: conjures up tea-time at Downton Abbey to me 😛 It is also pretty perfect to bring along to the party of the week, Angie’s Friday Fiesta, being co-hosted by Hilda today! Join me, won’t you?
If you liked this post, please do share with your family and friends using the Social Share buttons underneath this post or down the side of the page! And sign up to receive posts right into your Inbox (there’s a box on the right)! For free!
You can also follow me on:
- 1 & ½ cups All-purpose Flour
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ½ cup Butter, softened
- 1 cup Sugar
- 3 Eggs
- ¾ cup 2% Greek Yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1 teaspoon Lemon Zest
- 1 tablespoon dried Lavender
- ¼ cup Icing Sugar
- Juice of ½ Lemon
- Preheat oven to 160 C / 325 F. Grease one 9 x 5 inch loaf pan and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter. Gradually add the sugar and cream until light and fluffy, about 7 minutes.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing each until fully incorporated.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients, alternating with the Greek yogurt, to the creamed butter and sugar and mix just until incorporated.
- Add the lemon juice, vanilla extract and lemon zest and beat on low just until blended.
- Gently stir in the lavender.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan(s) and bake for about 45 minutes until the edges begin to brown and a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Cool in the loaf pans for 10-15 minutes before transferring to a wire rack.
- For the drizzle, take the icing sugar in a bowl and add lemon juice little by little till a pouring consistency is reached. Drizzle over the cooled cake.
Pin this Recipe: